Articles and Sections:
(Chapter Bylaws Adopted by Phoenix/Scottsdale NOW 2009)
- Statement of Purpose
- Establishing Bylaws
- Affirmative Actions and Diversity Outreach
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this local membership organization is the “Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter of the National Organization for Women, Inc.” (NOW)
ARTICLE II. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
NOW’s purpose is to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society, exercising all liberties, privileges, and responsibilities including but not limited to reproductive rights. It includes freedom from discrimination because of race, ethnic origin, age, marital status, sexual reference/orientation, or parenthood.
B. Affirmative Action
The Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter is committed to the inclusion of diverse voices and experiences, and to that end commits to affirmatively act to achieve a diverse membership and leadership. Specific goals and affirmative measures shall be outlined in Article XI of the Chapter Bylaws.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
A. All members of the Phoenix/Scottsdale chapter of NOW must be members of the national organization.
B. NOW’s National Bylaws state that anyone who subscribes to our purpose which is essentially, anyone who agrees with our issue positions, may join upon payment of dues. See the “Chapter Policy Rules” for additional information.
C. Any person who subscribes to NOW’s purpose shall be eligible to become a member of NOW and upon payment of national dues shall be enrolled as a member, with all rights, privileges, liberties and responsibilities thereof.
1. Annual dues shall be paid on the anniversary date of the day on which the member joined.
2. New chapter members can pay annual dues to the chapter Treasurer, who shall be responsible for the National portion to be paid to the National NOW Treasurer. 3. Renewals are paid directly to national NOW Treasurer.
4. See the “Chapter Policy Rules” for more detail.
ARTICLE IV. POLICY
A. The Chapter shall be bound by National NOW Bylaws and Policy.
B. The Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter has policy governing the Chapter’s structure and activities. Our Secretary or an Administrative Officer will be responsible for keeping copies of Chapter Minutes, Agendas, Bylaws and updated “Chapter Policy Rules.” The Secretary will communicate with the State NOW organization if information from the board is not available.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
A. THE CHAPTER SHALL HOLD AT LEAST FOUR (4) MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS EACH YEAR.
B. ONE OF THESE MEETINGS, DESIGNATED THE ELECTION MEETING, SHALL BE THE MEETING AT WHICH THE ELECTION OF OFFICERS SHALL TAKE PLACE.
- 1. There will be an Election Meeting that will take place every two years starting in January of 2010.
- 2. All members must receive at least 30-days notice of the Election Meeting.
C. Parliamentary Authority-All proceedings of Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter of NOW shall be governed by” Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised”
D. The fiscal year shall be January 1 to December 31.
ARTICLE VI. OFFICERS
A. The chapter officers may delegate such duties as may be necessary to allow them to implement the performance of their office, but they may not delegate their responsibility.
B. The officers shall be responsible at all times to its members.
C. A member can only be elected or appointed to one position on the Chapter Board.
D. Titles and Duties
- President. There shall be a President who shall manage the day-to-day affairs of the chapter, preside at meetings, make certain the agenda is ready for the next meeting, and fill out the yearly Chapter Report.
- Vice President-Executive. There shall be a Vice President-Executive who shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the President, and perform such other duties as may be delegated by the President and/or members.
- National Action Coordinator. There shall be a National Action Coordinator who shall send out Action e-mails so that members can participate in Actions sent out by National NOW and coordinate the action programs.
- Local Action Coordinator. The Local Action Coordinator shall inform and send out Action emails concerning local Arizona Actions and Legislation.
- Membership Chair. There shall be a Membership Chair who shall be responsible for the membership records and shall send out cards to reinstate those whose membership has lapsed.
- Secretary. There shall be a Secretary who shall take minutes, keep a record of the corrected minutes of meeting, and keep the “Chapter Policy Rules” up-to-date. The Secretary will communicate with the State NOW organization if information from the board is not available.
- Treasurer. There shall be a Treasurer who keeps the checkbook and Savings Account up-to-date , fills out the IRS report, and the financial part of National NOW’s yearly Chapter Report.
- Parliamentarian. There shall be a Parliamentarian appointed by the chapter board who knows the Bylaws of the National, State and Chapter NOW organization.
- Representative. A minimum of one will be elected to the AZ State NOW Board representing the Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter of NOW
E. Qualification and Terms of Office
- All officers shall be members of Phoenix/Scottsdale Chapter of NOW. Two year terms shall begin with officer elections held in January of 2010. Each member will be limited to two terms in an elected office.
- In the case of officers elected to fill a vacancy, their partial terms shall not be considered in determining the term limitation.
- Nominations for the January Election of Officers in even years beginning in 2010 must be in writing by the December 31 of the previous year.
- Each candidate must include an information sheet about themselves.
ARTICLE VII. COMMITTEES
Article VII Committees
- A Committee may act on behalf of the Board, provided that the action is consistent with existing NOW policy.
- A Committee shall report all of its actions and decisions to the members.
- A Committee may meet by any means, such as a conference telephone call and email dialogue, which will allow the members to confer as a body.
- The Committee Chair may be appointed by the President or members of the committee.
- The Committee must present a written presentation of committee goals.
- A member of the Committee must also give a progress report to the membership.
- The Budget Committee shall prepare a proposed line-item budget for the fiscal year.
- The budget, after having been published in NOW leadership mailing, shall be approved by a majority vote of the members of the Board present and voting at a meeting no later than the December preceding the commencement of the fiscal year on January 1.
ARTICLE VIII. CONFERENCES
A. National Conference
- The National Conference shall be open to all NOW members.
- Only delegates shall be entitled to vote, but all NOW members shall be entitled to speak.
- Delegates are voted on by the chapter board.
B. AZ State Conference
- The AZ State Conference shall be open to all NOW members.
- All AZ members shall be entitled to vote.
ARTICLE IX. GRIEVANCES
Grievance procedures shall be determined by the National Board.
Procedure shall be made available to members.
ARTICLE X. ESTABLISHING BYLAWS
Establishing Bylaws shall be emailed to membership and Members may vote by email, letter, or attend the open meeting which will be held at least 30 days after the voting Members have been notified.
ARTICLE XI. AMENDMENTS
- These Bylaws may be amended by or proposed by two thirds of the Chapter membership present at a meeting with 30-day notice.
- Amendments shall be emailed out not less than 30 days prior to the meeting at which the amendments shall be discussed.
- Members may vote by email, letter, or attend the open meeting which will be held 31 days after the voting Members have been notified.
ARTICLE XII. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND DIVERSITY OUTREACH
- The chapter shall maintain current demographic information about the region they are located within.
- The chapter shall urge diverse membership in the organization.
- The chapter shall show inclusion of peoples of various backgrounds not limited to gender, race, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, nationality, age, or marital status.
- Inclusion of organizations that are committed to diverse groups on newsletter mailing lists, speakers lists, websites, and blogs.
- Requests of various organizations that are devoted to diverse groups to include us in their outreach.
- Set goals for membership, participation, and leadership of creating diversity within community and our social work will be established.